Sunday 4 September 2011

Day 4: 25th August 2011

Thinking Numbers & Word Problems

We started the lesson with this activity that I really found it amazing when Dr Yeap asked us to think of two numbers and to do an addition of the numbers and two put the numbers side by side as well as to find the difference of the number. And he gave us the missing number. It was amazing on how he could read our mind. Then finally we were taught how to do it and I was so amazed that after i went home and school I had tried it on many of them and they were all equally shocked. It goes to say how numbers can actually follow a pattern. We then learnt how to use stem block to take away tens and ones to find out the answer as well.

We learnt about the different types of questions such as the part-part whole questions,change questions as well as the compare questions. Only today I realize the different types of word sums.


Back at school, I provide hands on activities for the young children to comprehend the word sums I do with them.It could be a simple activity as seen above to use pre cut-outs to count the number of items and to add up the total number altogether. My children simply love playing such activities related to math.

According to this quote said in class,
Children dont learn well through repetitions. Children learn well when give them variations of the same idea.

From what I derive from it, we emphasize children on doing the same questions repetitively for practice, however, if we provide them different scenarios with the same problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment