Sunday 4 September 2011

Day 1: 22nd August 2011

I had expected the Math lesson to be draggy and boring as it was on Math. However to my surprise, the lesson was fun, engaging and informative to us. All thanks to Dr Yeap. Dr Yeap began the lesson with a activity using names. I had never done this before and I tried counting it manually to and fro till the 99th number. Then I tried dividing the number 99 with the number of letters in my name. Then I liked the activity of the sound game as this could be carried out with younger children as well.



We were told how young children count from counting to skip counting and to say the numbers just by looking at it by sight. The poker card games were the highlight for the night. It worked like magic. Both my partner jasmine and I found it so amazing that we were persistent in finding a way to get it right. We first just used the cards in one hand and were so close in getting it right. However we miscounted it and could not get it right. At the end, we realized that writing out was a easier way to accomplish this.
In a nutshell, we had learnt about the uses and the different type of numbers. I would like to go back and try some of this activities in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment